Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Turtle Crossings and Assumptions


One day while my daughter and I were running in the park, we came across a turtle in the middle of the trail.  It was a hot day and the trail was in full sunlight, with water on the left side of the trail and a meadow on the right side.  The turtle was just resting in the middle of the path, facing toward the meadow.  I was afraid that the turtle was going to be run over by a bicycle, so I picked it up and moved it to the river side, hoping it would find a spot to rest by the cool water.  We continued our run, then turned around and headed back.  Much to my surprise, we reencountered the turtle – back in the middle of the trail slowly walking toward the meadow.

I assumed I knew what the turtle wanted; however it knew exactly where it wanted to go.  The turtle had to expend extra energy to recover from my imposition.  Nature in its subtle way provided a learning moment.  When facing the need for action, it is always a good exercise to question the assumptions to avoid making the wrong choice.

Photo courtesy of Morguefile.com

No comments:

Post a Comment