Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Walk in the Rain

One day I was feeling down and was having trouble getting myself motivated.  It was a gray day and light rain was falling, which was intensifying the feelings.  A chaos of thoughts was coursing through my mind and I was having trouble shutting off the inner dialog.  On impulse, I put on my jacket and went out on a walk.  Walking on a sunny day has always been an uplifting experience for me, but I wasn’t sure if a gray rainy day would work in the same way.  After a few minutes, I realized that there was something very different about walking in the rain – it was invigorating!  Uplifting!  Feeling better, I was able to better channel my thoughts and start to focus on what was really important.  As a result, what could have been a depressing, unproductive day became more positive and fruitful.  Anchoring on this experience, I often look forward to a rainy day to go on a walk or a run…  ~GMB


Photo credit: Ian Paterson

No comments:

Post a Comment