Monday, August 13, 2012

Remember the Living

One characteristic of civilization is the fact that we honor and remember those who have died.  This weekend, my family and I visited a family member who was just admitted to a nursing home.  It was a very moving and emotional experience – in residence were many elderly people in their late autumn years, many of whom seemed to be suffering with varying degrees of dementia.  The first day we were there, there were no other visitors and I could feel the intense sense of loneliness in the home.  I can only imagine that many of the residents have no close family or, worse, have been forgotten by their families.  One thing that I will never forget: when I shared a simple smile and “hello” with the residents, their whole being would light up and they would return a smile.

We remember our dead.  What about those who are waiting to die?  No one wants to die lonely and forgotten.

Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons (4028mdk09)

No comments:

Post a Comment