Monday, December 26, 2016

A Thought on the Day After Christmas






Today is the day after Christmas, the second biggest holiday for the Christian faith, and because it fell on a Sunday, today is the “official” holiday per the U.S. Government.  So it seemed everything was quieter than usual.  Except for the malls, which were jam-packed with people trying to return gifts as well as look for bargains.  No rest for the weary materialistic society we have become.  Me? I ran 4 miles with my daughter and four more by myself zoning out and just enjoying nature and my surroundings.  And I have to stop to think about what I am missing not participating in the gluttony of materialism that seems to dominate the holiday period starting with Thanksgiving evening.  The answer was simple: nothing.  What are they missing?  Time with family, time with nature, time with a worthwhile hobby or vocation, time giving to others, time exploring the amazing, time to rest, time to reenergize, time to reflect on the real meaning of the holidays?

I pose the question for everyone to think about as we approach the New Year. 

Personal photo taken at Acadia National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment