Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Today Starts a New Journey


Today is a new day, with a new journey in front of me.  Yesterday, I was fighting the good fight; then all of a sudden, my eyes slowly opened with my head and heart aching, my eyes full of tears, lying flat on the floor and wondering what hit me.  At that point, despite being a scientific expert in my field, I realized that I knew nothing…absolutely nothing at all, especially about being an empathetic human being…  The actions I chose, the words I wrote and spoke just amplified the pain and suffering despite my best intentions.  The pain I feel due to the pain I have caused others is amplified in my heart to a disabling level.  I can’t medicate it away and I can’t run from it.  What I shall do, though, is recalibrate and learn.  I will learn to celebrate my humanness and address my brokenness.  Today the process has started.  It will be a very long journey.

At the very beginning of my university education, I saw a mathematical equation: 1 >> 0.  Taking that first step, as hard as it is, is the most critical decision.  Every step afterwards becomes much easier.  I share my words with the intention that those who face the same decision to take that first step find the courage and inspiration to do so.

~G 

No comments:

Post a Comment